Sasha Luccioni is a leading researcher in ethical artificial intelligence. Over the last decade, her work has paved the way to a better understanding of the societal and environmental impacts of AI technologies.
Sasha is a Research Scientist and Climate Lead at HuggingFace, a Board Member of Women in Machine Learning (WiML), and a founding member of Climate Change AI (CCAI), a global initiative that aims to catalyze impactful work and build a community at the intersection of climate change and machine learning.
She has been called upon by organizations such as the OECD, the United Nations and the NeurIPS conference as an expert in developing norms and best practices for a more sustainable and ethical practice of AI. Her academic research has been published in conferences and journals such as the IEEE, AAAI, the ACM, and Nature Machine Intelligence. Her work has also been extensively covered in the media by outlets such as the MIT Technology Review, WIRED, the Washington Post and Business Insider.
You can contact her at: sasha.luccioni(at)huggingface.co
- I am co-lead organizer of the Tackling Climate Change with Machine Learning workshop at the 2023 ICLR conference taking place in Kigali Rwanda.
- I was an Ethics Review Chair of NeurIPS 2022.
- I joined the WiML Board of Directors in Spring 2022.
- I was a Senior Area Chair on the Efficient NLP track of NAACL 2022.
Recent News Coverage
- My work on calculating the carbon footprint of BLOOM, a large language model, was featured in MIT Technology Review (Nov 2022).
- The Stable Diffusion Bias Explorer tool was featured in Tech Policy Press and VICE
- I was featured in a recent CBC article about the dangers of bias in AI models.
The research subjects I am working on are:
- The societal and environmental impacts of artificial intelligence (AI)
- Calculating the carbon impact of AI algorithms
- Ethical and explainable machine learning
- Best practices for data collection and sharing
Check out the other pages on this site for more information about my publications, my biography talks I have given and projects that I’m involved in.
For my full CV, see here